In this episode we meet First Officer Pilot Tom Ward.
At the University of Manchester, Tom studied aerospace engineering because of his fascination for airplanes. Even during his time at the university, he took flying courses through the University Air Squadron which even helped pay for his expensive training.
Alright, are you ready to learn more about what it is like to be a pilot?
Let’s go chat with him!
- [1:05] – What it is like to be a Pilot
- [3:20] – A day at work is like for Tom
- [6:03] – Different Pilot types
- [6:55] – The work/life balance working as a pilot
- [8:09] – Tom’s worse experience at work
- [10:32] – Choosing A-level subjects – Deciding to become a pilot
- [13:26] – What Tom has studied
- [16:04] – Flying in University & taking courses
- [20:59] – Differences between becoming a pilot in Europe and US
- [22:10] – There is more work to be done – A great advice
- [24:50] – Recommended books
- [26:47] – More opportunities – What the future of pilots might look like
- [29:18] – Beautiful blue skies and sunsets
- [30:20] – Tom’s advice for someone choosing a career path
Books mentioned in the interview
- Wings on My Sleeve by Eric Brown
Links and other useful resources
- Wondering how to become a pilot? Study.com has a great article where you can learn more about how to become a pilot!
- Flying magazine, a magazine that is filled with articles that are related to the topics of flying and careers within the subject
- How much money does a commercial pilot make? Check out Inside Jobs‘ article that is filled with useful information about the salary of different types of pilots!
- If you are interested in learning more about what it is like to be a pilot, you should pay Airline Chatter a visit. It is an Aviation blog written from the point of view of an airline pilot. Stories and images from the trenches of commercial aviation!
We also have two videos that you might find interesting!
Behind every flight is the effort of all our great people. “A Day in The Life” series follows some of our staff through a typical day. In this video, we follow Cathay Pacific Senior First Officer Richard Clausen from his home to take-off.
Join a pilot as he shows you his ways of getting his aircraft ready for a day of flying as a Corporate Pilot.
Thanks a lot for checking out this episode! We hope you enjoyed listening to this interview with Tom, as much as we did making it!
Do you want to become a pilot? Tell us why! We would love to hear the reason! Let us know in the comment field below!
See you again soon! 🙂