Ever since Akram Alashari was a young boy, he has wanted to become a doctor. In 2008, he graduated from medical school and went on to specialize in General Surgery at the University of Connecticut.
He then pursued sub-specialty training at the University of Florida in the field of Trauma and Critical Care Medicine.
At the age of 29, he became one of the youngest double board-certified surgeons in the United States.
After treating numerous patients with life-saving surgery and helping them overcome great challenges, he decided to help people not just with his hands, but with his words.
He started giving inspirational speeches to universities, hospitals, and corporations around the country.
He is also the author of the book The Power of Peak State: Massively Enhance Your Personal Potential.
Let´s go meet him!
- [2:11] – What it is like to be a surgeon
- [4:10] – Akram´s and his team´s role at the hospital
[6:47] – Remembering the first ever patient
[8:05] – The last time Akram performed an operation
[9:01] – Studying period & the moment Akram realised that he wanted to be a doctor
[12:32] – How difficult is it to become a doctor?
[13:20] – What subjects should you choose in high school?
[15:00] – Developing the right kind of mindset
[17:33] – Being an author and public speaker
[21:51] – Three recommended books
[22:43] – How technology helps create progress within the medical field
[23:53] – What the future for people who want to become doctors looks like
[26:09] – Working long hours – What type of person you should be to become a doctor
[29:18] – What advice Akram would give to his 18-year-old-self
Books and Authors mentioned in the interview
- The Power of Peak State by our guest Dr. Akram Alashari
- Man´s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Napoleon Hill, a well-known author and an early producer of personal-success literature.
- Earl Nightingale, an American radio personality, writer, respected speaker and author, dealing mostly on the subjects of human character development, motivation, excellence and meaningful existence,
Links and other useful online resources
- The Apprentice Doctor has a great article on how to become a surgeon, that you can find here.
- If you want to learn more about the education requirements for becoming a surgeon, Study has a great page that you can check out here.
- You can check out Dr. Akram Alashari´s website to learn more about his life and work as a surgeon, author and motivational speaker!
Wondering what it´s like to work in the emergency room at a hospital? Check out this video about the life of an ER surgeon!
This video is also about a day in the life of a surgeon, a hearth surgeon.
Thanks for checking out the 99 Career Options-podcast!
We hope that this interview has answered some of your questions about what a surgeon does for a living! If you want to learn more about the surgeon-profession or have a Q&A session with a surgeon, you can send us a message and we will happily help you out!
Do you want to become a surgeon? What do you think is the most exciting part about being a surgeon?
If you have any feedback or questions- let us know in the comments below! We would love to hear from you! 🙂
Until next time!