Noel Lumpkin has been an anesthesiologist since 1999, and working full-time as a locum tenens since 2005.
Her jobs have taken her across the United States, from Alaska to Maine, from small community hospitals to large referral centres. She has also been on medical mission trips have taken her to Ecuador, Zimbabwe, Congo, Madagascar, which has been an adventure in itself.
If you are interested in her amazing journey you can read all about it in her book titled “Road Warrior Physician: Locum Tenes a How-to Guide. You can also learn more about Noel at her blog as well!
Are you ready? Let´s go chat with her!
- [2:16] – What Noel does as an anesthesiologist
- [4:07] – What it is like to be a patient for an anesthesiologist
- [7:24] – What a usual day at work looks like
- [09:17] – Also i see that you are working as…
- [12:44] – Becoming inspired to study anaesthesiology
- [14:52] – Getting into medical school – The steps Noel took to get where she is today
- [19:24] – What type of person do you have to be? – Great advice for high schoolers
- [25:22] – Noel´s work as an author and speaker
- [28:26] – 80% of all people want to write a book
- [30:52] – Three recommended books & the importance of reading
- [39:05] – What the future looks like for people who are interested in studying medicine or
- health care.
- [42:42] – If Noel could go back in time and give herself some advice…
Books mentioned in the interview
- Here you can find Noel´s book “Road Warrior Physician: Locus Tenes a How-to Guide. In her book, Noel describes how you also can work as an locum teens physician while traveling the world!
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
- The Joy of Reading by Charles van Doren
- Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Links and other online resources
- You should pay a visit to Dr.Noel´s blog “Dr Lumpkin” if you´re interested in learning more about her travels and what she does for a living!
- Check out this interview with another Anesthesiologist named David Maduram by LifeHacker
- Still wondering what an anesthesiologist does for a living? Then check out Hospital for Special Surgery´s article called “What is an anesthesiologist?“
- Wondering how much money anesthesiologists make? US. News has a great page where you can find additional and interesting facts about anesthesiologists!
Wanna know more about anaesthesiology? Check out this video about a day in the life of a anesthesiologist:
Do you wish to become to be an anesthesiologist? What are your thoughts around the profession? Tell us in the comments below! We would love to know!
Thank you so much for checking out this episode with Dr. Noel! We hope that this interview has helped to answer your questions on what it is like, and how to become, an anesthesiologist!
If some of your questions were left unanswered, you can send us a message and get the opportunity to have a personal Q&A session with an anesthesiologist! We would love to help you out in any way we can!
See you again! 🙂