In this episode we meet Labour and Delivery Nurse David Lane. Currently and for the last 4.5 years, he has been a Labor & Delivery Nurse in the United States Air Force.
As an L&D nurse, he manages the labours of women having babies. After delivery, he keeps the moms and babies safe from post-delivery complications, as well as, teach breastfeeding and new born care.
He is really proud of his breastfeeding teaching skills. First starting out as a nurse, that is one thing that intimidating him the most. But now he is very confident in teaching moms how to feed their babies.
Now he is the NRP Program Director for his hospital.
Let´s go chat with him!
- [04:03] – Working as a Delivery Nurse – What David does for a living
- [04:50] – What a day at work looks like
- [05:52] – How it was to work as a Delivery Nurse for the first few months
- [10:34] – Helping the baby with its first breath
- [12:05]- Are there many men who work as Labour and Delivery nurses?
- [15:06] – How working as a Labour and Delivery nurse has changed David as a person
- [17:32] – A complicated case at work
- [19:35] – Different types of Delivery Nurses
- [21:49] – How David ended up in Tokyo & his experiences in Japan
- [25:26] – The most striking differences between the US, Japan, and Europe
- [31:32] – The benefits of working in abroad
- [36:26] – What the life in high school was like & getting in to the military
- [44:00] – How the student loan system works in the US &
- [52:27] – How one can pursue David´s career path
- [56:14] – Steps on getting into the Air Force and its benefits
- [62:53] – Three recommended books
- [65:32] – Why it is important to know what you want to do in life
- [66:23] – Recommended resources
- [67:30] – Life lessons David learned the hard way
- [67:52] – What David would have studied if being a Labour and Delivery nurse was not an option…
- [69:10] – A phone conversation into the past – What advice David would give to his 18-year-old self
Books mentioned in the interview
- The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness, by Dave Ramsey
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, by Ashlee Vance
- Start With Why, by Simon Sinek
Links and other useful resources
- The United States’ Air Force. https://www.airforce.com/
- Reddit, an entertainment, social news networking service, and news website.
- 7 Things to Know about Labor & Delivery Nursing
- How to become a Labour and Delivery Nurse, by InnerBody
- Deciding between become a Labour and Delivery Nurse or Midwife? Check out this post, by GapMedics.
- This article by Study.com also has more information on how to become a Labour and Delivery Nurse!
In this video, Nurse Kristen shows what a typical day in Labor & Delivery looks like at Riverton Hospital.
Wondering what the best or worst parts of being a Delivery Nurse is, or to look for in a nursing school? This video might help you out!
Thanks for checking out this episode with Labour and Delivery Nurse researcher Sabita! We hope that you found it useful!
Keep it mind that if you want to have a mentor, it could even be someone who is a Labour and Delivery Nurse, to give you advice or to help guide you on the right path, you can do that on 99 Career Options! All you need to do is to go on “Get a Mentor” and you’re one step closer to what could be your dream career!
Do you want to become a Labour and Delivery Nurse? Tell us why! Leave a comment below, we would love to hear your story!
Thanks for listening! 🙂