Katrina is an IT Audit Manager for two of Norway’s top 10 largest businesses.
She is responsible for scoping, planning, and the quality assurance of IT projects at KPMG which is one of the largest audit, tax and advisory firms in the world.
She has a high competency for organization, attention to detail, and people management, especially in international office environments, as well as for project management and information systems.
Let’s go chat with her!
- [02:10] – What Katrina does for a living
- [02:45] – Working at an audit firm – A typical day at work
- [06:03] – What an audit firm is and “The Big Four”
- [08:13] – Different work tasks Katrina deals with
- [11:52] – Working alone vs together in a team – Katrina’s workstyle
- [14:22] – An interesting episode that happened at work
- [15:55] – Some tiresome, dull, tasks Katrina has to do at work
- [17:15] – Katrina’s advice to people in school, and her own personal motivation
- [19:56] – The ratio between men and women at Katrina’s work
- [22:10] – Why someone should follow Katrina’s career path
- [23:36]- Getting a bachelor in Business Administration- Katrina’s study period in high school and college
- [26:59] – How hard the studying period was & Screaming from the top of the lungs
- [29:06] – Job prospects and job interviews after school
- [32:02] – The importance of having the right attitude and characteristics, especially if working for KPMG
- [36:01] – Job prospects after school (continuation)
- [37:17] – The importance of networking & the steps one can take to get a position similar to that of Katrina’s
- [41:02] – Becoming a baker if working in IT were not an option
- [42:27] – Recommended books and resources
- [45:40] – Life lessons Katrina learned the hard way
- [47:23] – What advice Katrina would give to her 18-year-old self
Books and authors mentioned in the interview
- The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt and Jeff Cox
Links and other useful online resources
- Check out Study.com‘s page on more information about what an IT Audit Manager is.
- Robert Half has a blog post which mentions a couple of skills any audit manager should have.
- 12 Tips on How to Network for Shy People, a great article by CIO.
Here is a video which gives you an idea of what an audit manager does
This video is about internal audit Ben, who gets the opportunity to both understand fully how a business functions internally and have a significant impact on its overall efficiency.
Thanks for checking out this episode with IT Audit Manager Katrina! We hope that you found it useful!
Keep it mind that if you want to have a mentor, it could even be someone who is a professional Auditor, to give you advice or to help guide you on the right path, you can do that on 99 Career Options! All you need to do is to go on “Get a Mentor” and you’re one step closer to what could be your dream career!
Do you want to become an auditor? Tell us why! Leave a comment below, we would love to hear your story!
Thanks for listening!