David is a skilled artist who specialises in typography, CGI, 3D illustration, branding, and identity.
He previously worked as a web-designer, but has now transitioned into making digital art and working for big and well-known clients such as Diesel and IMB!
Check out his awesome work on his web page, and make sure follow him on Twitter @david_mcleod and Instagram.
Let’s go chat with him!
- [01:56] – Imagine Creation and Animation for a living
- [04:02] – Working on awesome projects for Diesel and IBM
- [06:35] – How clients contact Digital Artists to order a project
- [08:12] – How long it takes to come up with new ideas
- [10:37] – Design and Advertisement – A day at work with David as a Digital Artist
- [13:11 ]– Being your own Boss – The greatest part about the job
- [13:58 ]– The “super impressive” and best people in the field
- [17:38] – The study period & how David become a Digital Artist
- [20:48] – Listening to the inner voice when making a decision
- [23:33] – Recommended books and blogs
- [27:52] – Getting into 3D Illustration or Animation – Recommended resources
- [30:19] – Rapidly changing technologies – The future of Digital Artists
- [31:22] – David´s advice when choosing a career path
Books mentioned in the interview:
- The Language of Things: Understanding the World of Desirable Objects
- Curiosity and Method: Ten Years of Cabinet Magazine
Links and other useful online resources:
- Universal Everything, a digital art and design collective, inventing new forms of moving image
for the screens of the future.
- Colors And The Kids (CATK), is a Germany-based art studio that was formed in 2008 by artist Elisabeth Schulze, Sebastian Gerbert, and Maik Bluhm.
- Zeitguised, a studio of artists, designers, and technologists providing consultancy for synthetic art and design with inhouse creative direction and production.
- Want to become a digital artist, but don’t know where to start? See ArtStation Magazine‘s article which covers 15 steps one can take when pursuing a career in the field of digital art.
Check out this video to see some of the cool things a 3D artist can make!
This video is about how to get started in digital art for complete beginners!
Thank you very much for checking out this episode with digital artist David! If you want to learn more about what it is like to be a digital artist, or are wondering how to become one, we will do our best to help you out!
You can even be assigned a digital artist who will be your personal mentor, and will help you on the path of becoming a digital artist!
Do you want to become a digital artist? And if so, why? Let us know! Leave a comment below, we would love to hear it!
See you soon again! 🙂
[…] own podcast for great interviews with people from various professions, such as dentists, 3D artists, credit analysts, and much […]