Our guest today is Stefan Pop. Stefan is a Dermatology senior resident and PhD student currently living and working in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.
He has lived and worked abroad in multiple locations in both Europe and USA.
He was actually actually working at the hospital when we had the conversation.
When he isn’t doctoring he loves to travel, discover new places, play tennis or football.
List of specialities he did in France: Gynecology, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Cardiology, Geriatrics.
Timestamps[1:22] – The story of Stefan´s life
[3:08] – Studying in another country for free – Erasmus program & scholarships
[10:04] – Intense studying – How Stefan studied
[14:20] – Deciding to study medicine – Making a choice
[17: 10] – What happens after you finish studying
[20:59] – The future of jobs in the medicine field
[21:50] – What a day in Stefan´s life looks like
[24:10] – Working with people – What do you love with your job?
[27:39 ]– Technology and medicine working together
[28:33] – Are all doctors “library mice”? – Important annual tests for doctors
[33:38 ]– If being a doctor was not an option…
[33:55] – Actions speaks louder than words – It is important to appreciate the best in things
[36:27] – Stefan´s list of recommended books
[39:30] – Resources recommended by Stefan
[43:51] – What advice Stefan would give to his former 20-year-old self
Books mentioned in the interview
- The magic mountain by Thomas Mann and John E. Woods
- Dermatology: 2-Volume Set: Expert Consult Premium Edition by Jean L. Bolognia MD, Joseph L. Jorizzo MD, and Julie V. Schaffer MD
Links and other useful resources
- Medscape, a place for the latest medical news, thought leader perspective, clinical trial coverage, drug updates, journal articles, CME activities & more.
- DermNet, a website that provides an authoritative information about skin diseases, conditions and treatment for patients and their health professionals.
- Uptodate, an evidence based, peer reviewed information resource, available via the web, desktop, and PDA.
- Erasmus Plus, a scholarship program that helped Stefan and allowed him to study abroad
- A list of the Top 7 Free and Open Source EMR Software Products
- Wondering how to become a dermatologist? Check out Inner Body‘s article that is filled with useful information for anyone interested in studying dermatology
- Here’s a list of 14 things “I wish I knew before I became a dermatologist” by Terry P. Morris, a board-certified dermatologist with her own practice in Virgina, published by Cosmopolitian.
In this video we learn interesting facts about the human skin and dermatology in general
Here’s a nice and short video about simple steps you can take to become a dermatologist
Thank you for checking out this episode with dermatologist Stefan!
Remember that if you have any questions that were not answered, you can contact us and we will help you out! You can even get a mentor, a professional dermatologist, to help guide you on the right path and give you helpful advice!
Do you want to study dermatology? We would love to hear your story, so leave a comment in the field below!
Until next time! 🙂