Heleri has studied at the Estonian Academy of Arts and later at the Oslo School of Architecture and Design in Norway.
She has a life mission to every now and then do some crazy stuff like climbing the mountains in Kyrgyzstan with only one friend and without any knowledge about Middle Asia, horses, mountains, or to try to take the perfect photo without wearing gloves in February in the Arctic- not easy!
She has also hitchhiked and couch-surfed from Estonia to Italy for a month when she was 19 years old.
Today she is works a relatively young and very hip, medium sized international office in Oslo, and is dealing with projects from all across Europe.
I do think that I am stubborn and whiny and not a good example, but every now and then it happens that I see someone being inspired by me (may it be my niece or cousin or parent or a friend) and that makes me proud and happy and reminds me that I should always follow my dreams and live my life the very way I enjoy it.
Let’s go and meet with her!
- [2:24] – What is an architect?
- [3:31] – Some projects Heleri are working on right now
- [4:55] – What a day at work looks like
- 6: 17 – The moment Heleri realised that she wanted to become an architect
- [9:24] – Instability and difficulties finding a workplace? – Gratudate architect looking for a job
- [13:55] – Changing schools & getting into art school – What Heleri’s study period was like
- [17:22] – Dealing with the doubts and worries of uncertainty
- [19:04] – Three recommended books & resources on architecture
- [21:32] – What type of person one should be in order to succeed as an architecture
- [22:35] – What the future of architecture and architects looks like
- [28:41] – Heleri’s advice for someone who wants to become an architect
Useful links other online resources
- Check out Architect Magazine, a website filled with awesome articles about architects and architecture- and more!
- An article published by The New York Times about architect Alejandro Araventa from Chile, a man who wishes to use architecture to help humans in need, especially after the devastating earthquake that took place in Chile in early 2010.
- This blog post written by architect Bob Borson on his blog “Life of an Architect“, where you can get an overview and estimate of the average salary of an architect and other cool information about what it is like to be an architect.
- The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
- Delirious New York by Rem Koolhaas
- Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
You can also check out these cool videos:
This one is about a day in the life of architects from all over the world!
And this one, which is titled “The truth about being an architect”! Great stuff!
Thank you for your support and for checking out our podcast! We hope that your questions got answered, and if not- send us a message in the comment fields below or an e-mail and we will do our best to help you out!
Do you want to be an architect? What do you think it is like to be an architect? Leave a comment below, and let us know! We would love to hear from you! 🙂
Until next time!